Ecuador & the Galapagos Islands - Cuenca & the Southern Highlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Cuenca & the Southern Highlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Ecuador & the Galápogos Islands guidebook.
The southern spine of the Ecuadorian Andes ushers intrepid travelers down lush valleys that hide pastel-hued colonial towns and remote villages where indigenous culture thrives. And – with the exception of the famous regional capital Cuenca – the highways and byways are far less traipsed.
- wander the cobblestone streets of the colonial town of Cuenca, a Unesco World Heritage Site
- hike in the eerie, lake-bejeweled moors of windswept Parque Nacional Cajas
- ponder the engineering mysteries of Ecuador’s most important Inca ruins, Ingapirca
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Cuenca & Around, Parque Nacional Podocarpus, Zamora, Vilcabamba, Zumba & the Peruvian Border, Catacocha, Macará & the Peruvian Bor-der.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation