Eastern USA - Washington. DC & the Capital Region (PDF Chapter)
This is the Washington, DC & the Capital Region chapter from Lonely Planet’s Eastern USA guidebook.
It’s hard not to fall for the nation’s capital. Iconic monuments and vast (and free) museums are just the beginning of the great DC experience. There’s much more to discover: leafy, cobble-stoned neighborhoods, sprawling markets, heady multicultural nightspots and global cuisine.
- visit DC’s museums, including the awe-inspiring National Air & Space Museum
- watch the sun set over the Lincoln Memorial
- trace America’s roots at Colonial Williamsburg
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Washington, DC, Maryland, Baltimore, Annapolis, Eastern Shore, Ocean City, Delaware, Delaware Coast, Wilmington & Brandywine Valley, Dover, Virginia, Historic Triangle, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, The Piedmont, Shenandoah Valley, Blue Ridge Highlands, West Virginia, Eastern Panhandle, Monongahela National Forest, New River & Greenbrier Valley.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.