Eastern USA - The South (PDF Chapter)
This is the South chapter from Lonely Planet’s Eastern USA guidebook.
Arguably the first region of the USA to be considered its own distinct place, the South is de-fined by its cuisine, landscape, accent, literature, music and, undergirding all of the above, histo-ry – one that is long and beautiful in places, brutal and bloody in others.
- lose yourself in the magic of America’s strangest, most celebratory city, New Orleans
- hike and camp amid some of the South’s most magnificent scenery in Great Smoky Moun-tains National Park
- stomp your boots in honkytonks along Lower Broadway in Nashville
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: North Carolina, The Triangle, Charlotte, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, South Carolina, Charleston, Lowcountry, Myrtle Beach, Greenville & the Upcountry, Tennessee, Memphis, Nashville, Kentucky, Louisville, Bluegrass Country, Geor-gia, Atlanta, Alabama, Birmingham, Montgomery, Selma, Mobile, Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi Delta, Jackson, Natchez, Gulf Coast, Arkansas, Little Rock, Hot Springs, Tri-Peaks Region, Ozark Mountains, Louisiana, New Orleans & Around, St Francisville, Cajun Country, Cajun Wet-lands.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.