Eastern USA - New England (PDF Chapter)
This is the New England chapter from Lonely Planet’s Eastern USA guidebook.
The history of New England is the history of America. It’s the Pilgrims who came ashore at Plymouth Rock, the minutemen who fought for independence from Britain, and the abolitionists who challenged America’s legacy of slavery.
- follow the footsteps of Colonial rabble-rousers on the Freedom Trail in Boston
- romp in the sand and surf on Aquinnah Public Beach, one of the gorgeous beaches on Martha’s Vineyard
- listen to world-class music under the stars at the Tanglewood Music Festival in Lenox
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Massachusetts, Boston & Around, Cape Cod, The Is-lands, Pioneer Valley, The Berkshires, Rhode Island, Providence, Newport, East Bay, Connecti-cut, Hartford, Litchfield Hills, Connecticut Coast, Vermont, New Hampshire, Lakes Region, White Mountains, Hanover, Maine, Ogunquit, Portland.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation