Eastern USA - Great Lakes (PDF Chapter)
This is the Great Lakes chapter from Lonely Planet’s Eastern USA guidebook.
Don’t be fooled by all the corn. Behind it lurks surfing beaches and Tibetan temples, car-free islands and the green-draped lights of the aurora borealis. Roll call for the region’s cities starts with Chicago, with what is arguably the country’s mightiest skyline.
- absorb Chicago’s skyscrapers, museums, festivals and foodie bounty
- embrace Detroit’s can-do spirit and partake of its art, eateries and neighborhood bicycle rides
- paddle deep into Boundary Waters’ piney woods and sleep under a blanket of stars
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Illinois, Chicago & Around, Indiana, Indianapolis, Ohio, Cleveland, Erie Lakeshore & Islands, Ohio Amish Country, Columbus, Yellow Springs, Dayton, Cincinnati, Michigan, Detroit, Dearborn, Ann Arbor, Gold Coast, Straits of Mackinac, Up-per Peninsula, Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Minneapolis, St Paul.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.