East Coast Australia - Townsville to Mission Beach (PDF Chapter)
This is the Townsville to Mission Beach chapter from Lonely Planet’s East Coast Aus-tralia guidebook.
Spread out between the tourist darlings of Cairns and the Whitsunday Islands, this less-er-known, rainforested stretch of quiet, palm-edged beaches is where giant endangered casso-wary graze for seeds, and koalas nap in gum trees on turquoise encircled islands.
- launch to the quintessential tropical Queensland escape of Dunk Island
- veer wildly around white-water bends on Tully River
- search for the shy platypus in the winding trails of Paluma Range National Park
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Townsville & Around, Magnetic Island, Ingham & Around, Cardwell, Hinchinbrook Island, Tully, Mission Beach, Dunk Island, Innisfail & Around.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation