East Africa - Rwanda (PDF Chapter)
This is the Rwanda chapter from Lonely Planet’s East Africa guidebook.
Stunning little Rwanda is known as the Land of a Thousand Hills thanks to its endless mountains. Nowhere are they more majestic than the Virunga volcanoes in the northwest, and hidden among the bamboo forests are some of the world’s last remaining mountain gorillas.
- hike the forested slopes of the Virungas in Volcanoes National Park for a close encounter with mountain gorillas and golden monkeys
- hack through steamy rainforests in search of colobus monkeys and chimpanzees in Nyungwe Forest National Park
- confront the horrors of the genocide at the haunting Kigali Genocide Memorial
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Kigali, Northwestern Rwanda, Musanze (Ruhengeri), Volcanoes National Park, Gisenyi (Rubavu), Southwestern Rwanda, Huye (Butare), Nyanza (Nyabisindu), Nyungwe Forest National Park, Cyangugu (Rusizi), Kibuye (Karongi), Eastern Rwanda, Akagera National Park, Understand Rwanda, History, Rwanda Today, Culture, Reli-gion, Arts, Environment, Food & Drink, Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience