East Africa - Detour: Democratic Republic of the Congo (PDF Chapter)
This is the Detour: Democratic Republic of the Congo chapter from Lonely Planet’s East Africa guidebook.
Carpeted by huge swaths of rainforest and punctuated by gushing rivers and smoking vol-canoes, the Democratic Republic of Congo is the ultimate African adventure. A small but fast-growing tourism industry has seen travellers return to what is easily one of Africa’s most thrilling – and challenging – destinations.
- stare down in wonder at the lava lake of magnificent Nyiragongo – quite simply a once-in-a-lifetime experience
- visit the habituated mountain gorillas that thrive in the thick forests of Africa’s oldest na-tional park, Parc National des Virunga
- cross gorgeous Lake Kivu to the friendly town of Bukavu, from where you can explore DRC’s most overlooked national park, Parc National de Kahuzi-Biéga
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Goma, Parc National Des Virunga, Bukavu, Under-stand the Democratic Republic of the Congo, DRC Today, Culture, Environment, Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.