Dubai & Abu Dhabi - Diera (PDF Chapter)
This is the Deira chapter from Lonely Planet’s Dubai & Abu Dhabi guidebook.
Hugging the northern side of the Creek, Deira is one of Dubai’s oldest and most charismatic neighbourhoods, a world apart from the sky-piercing towers of modern Dubai. Its biggest asset is its cluster of atmospheric souqs (spice, gold, perfume, fish, produce); a tangle of narrow lanes heaving with a cacophony of sounds and smells that bursts to life in the late afternoon.
- plunging headlong into the souqs for a sensory dose of Arabian Nights flair
- checking out Dubai’s first school, Al Ahmadiya, housed in an exquisite traditional building
- strolling down leafy Al Muteena St and stopping for masgouf (grilled fish) in an Iraqi restaurant
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Neighbourhood Walk, Accommodation, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Shopping, and Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.