Dominican Republic - Santo Domingo (PDF Chapter)
This is the Santo Domingo chapter from Lonely Planet’s Dominican Republic guidebook.
Amid the cobblestone streets it would be easy to forget Santo Domingo is in the Caribbean. But this is an intensely urban city, home not only to colonial-era architecture, but also to hot clubs, vibrant cultural institutions and elegant restaurants.
- wander the 500-year-old cobblestone backstreets of the Zona Colonial in the New World’s first city
- enter Catedral Primada de América, the first church in the New World, and imagine how 16th-century worshippers felt
- root for the home team at Estadio Quisqueya, one of the best places to watch a baseball game in the DR
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: History, Sights, Courses, Tours, Festivals & Events, Sleeping, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation