Dominican Republic - Central Highlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Central Highlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Dominican Republic guidebook.
When you eventually overdose on sun and sand, come to the cool, mountainous playground of the Central Highlands. Sit at dusk, huddled in a sweater, and watch the mist descend into the valley as the sun sets behind the mountains.
- ride the Caribbean’s only raftable river, the turbulent Río Yaque del Norte near Jaraba-coa
- scale the Caribbean’s highest peak, Pico Duarte, and linger at the top to take in the views
- watch the sunset as the mist descends into the high-altitude valley surrounding Constanza
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Santiago & Around, San José de las Matas, La Vega, Jarabacoa, Parques Nacionales Bermúdez, Ramírez, Constanza.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation