Curiosities & Splendour
1st Edition Mar 2019
Ships in 1-2 business days
was $22.00 USD
PDF, EPUB, MOBI
was $15.40 USD
Book + eBook
was $28.60 USD
Journey back in time with this collection of classic travel writing from great authors and adventurers. These extraordinary odysseys over land and sea captivated audiences and gave them a glimpse into countries, cities and cultures like never before.
Tales include Robert Falcon Scott’s doomed Antarctic expedition of 1910-13; Robert Byron’s ten-month journey through Persia to Afghanistan in the early 30s; Jack London’s 1907 sailing adventure across the south Pacific; and Teddy Roosevelt’s scientific exploration of the Brazilian jungle’s exotic flora and fauna.
Each author and their piece of writing is introduced by editor Mark Mackenzie, who gives context to the work and provides an insightful look into how travel has changed since they were originally published.
Features extracts from:
- The Worst Journey in the World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard
- The Road to Oxiana - Robert Byron
- Sea and Sardinia - DH Lawrence
- Cruise of the Snark - Jack London
- American Notes - Charles Dickens
- Through the Brazilian Wilderness - Teddy Roosevelt
- Life on the Mississippi - Mark Twain
- Letters Written During a Short Residence in Norway, Sweden, and Denmark - Mary Wollstonecraft
- In Morocco - Edith Wharton
- Missionary Travels and Researches in South Africa - David Livingstone
- The Histories - Herodotus
- South: The Story of Shackleton’s Last Expedition 1914-1917 - Ernest Shackleton
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.