Cuba - Varadero & Matanzas Province (PDF Chapter)
This is the Varadero & Matanzas Province chapter from Lonely Planet’s Cuba guidebook.
Matanzas Province conceals a tumultuous past beneath its modern-day reputation for glam all-inclusive holidays. The Bahía de Cochinos (Bay of Pigs) attracts more divers than mercenaries these days, while sunbathers rather than pirates invade the northern beaches of Varadero.
- unlock the buried secrets of the long-neglected but slowly re-emerging ‘Athens of Cuba,’ Matanzas
- indulge in a rare opportunity to dive and snorkel from the shore at Playa Coral beach
- delve into Cuba’s deepest cave system, Cuevas de Bellamar, just outside Matanzas
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Northern Matanzas, Varadero & Around, Matanzas & Around, Cárdenas, San Miguel de los Baños & Around, Península de Zapata, Central Australia & Around, Boca de Guamá, Gran Parque Natural Montemar, Playa Larga, Playa Girón.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation