Cuba - Isla de la Juventud (Special Municipality) (PDF Chapter)
This is the Isla de la Juventud (Special Municipality) chapter from Lonely Planet’s Cuba guidebook.
A historic refuge from the law for everyone from 16th-century pirates to 20th-century gang-sters, La Isla is perhaps the quirkiest castaway destination you ever will see. The main lure is div-ing some of the Caribbean’s most pristine reefs.
- get the lowdown on local life in the petite, sleepy island capital of Nueva Gerona
- climb the Sierra de las Casas – the steep hills above Nueva Gerona – to see the city (and island) splayed out below
- explore Presidio Modelo, the ominous prison where Fidel Castro was once incarcerated
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Isla de la Juventud, Nueva Gerona, East of Nueva Gerona, South of Nueva Gerona, The Southern Military Zone, Cayo Largo del Sur.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation