Crete - Iraklio (PDF Chapter)
This is the Iraklio Province chapter from Lonely Planet’s Crete guidebook.
Iraklio is home to Crete’s top-rated tourist site, the Minoan Palace of Knossos. Priceless treasures unearthed here, and at the many other Minoan sites around Crete, have catapulted the archaeological museum in the capital city of Iraklio onto the world stage.
- stand in awe of Minoan artistry at Heraklion Archaeological Museum, one of Greece’s most incredible museums
- discover resurrected varietals on a wine-tasting excursion in Iraklio Wine Country
- make a date with King Minos at the cradle of Minoan civilisation, the Palace of Knos-sos
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Iraklio & Around, Knossos, Agia Pelagia, Fodele, Central Iraklio, Arhanes & Around, Iraklio Wine Country, Myrtia, Zaros, Southern Iraklio, Gortyna, Phaestos, Agia Triada, Matala & Around, Lendas, Northeastern Coast, Gournes & Around, Her-sonisos, Malia.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation