Costa Rica - Central Valley & Highlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Central Valley & Highlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Costa Rica guidebook.
It is on the nontouristy, coffee-cultivated hillsides of the Central Valley that you’ll find Costa Rica’s heart and soul. This is not only the geographical center of the country but also its cultural and spiritual core.
- paddle down the cascading rapids of the Río Pacuare near Turrialba
- peer into the crater of Volcán Irazú and walk around its edge
- learn the history of chocolate at San Isidro de Heredia, stuffing your belly with goodness, and meet rescued toucans and sloths
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Alajuela & the Northern Valley, Alajuela, Parque Nacional Volcán Poás, Atenas, Grecia, Sarchí, Zarcero, Bajos del Toro, San Ramón, Heredia Ar-ea, Heredia, Barva, San Isidro de Heredia, Cartago Area, Cartago, Parque Nacional Volcán Irazú, Valle de Orosi, Turrialba Area, Turrialba, Monumento Nacional Arqueológico Guayabo.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.