Costa Rica - Arenal & Northern Lowlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Arenal & Northern Lowlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Costa Rica guidebook.
See the region’s main attraction: that now-dormant volcano, surrounded by old lava fields, bubbling hot springs and a stunning lake. Venture further onto the wild rivers and into the tropi-cal jungle of the northern lowlands and you will discover real-life Costa Rica.
- take in striking views of the volcano’s cloud-ringed cone in the Parque Nacional Volcán Arenal
- soothe your weary muscles in volcano-heated pools at the Eco Termales Hot Springs, La Fortuna
- marvel at sweeping lake or volcano views from your perch in charming El Castillo
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Arenal & Around, La Fortuna, Parque Nacional Vol-cán Arenal, El Castillo, Laguna de Arenal, Tilarán, Northern Lowlands, Upala, Refuge Nacional de Vida Silvestre Caño Negro, Los Chiles, San Rafael de Guatuso, Muelle de San Carlos, Ciu-dad Quesada (San Carlos), Boca Tapada Area, Sarapiquí Valley, San Miguel, La Virgen, Chila-mate & Around, Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí, Estación Biológica La Selva, Horquetas & Around.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.