Colorado - Mesa Verde & Southwest Colorado (PDF Chapter)
This is the Mesa Verde & Southwest Colorado chapter from Lonely Planet’s Colorado guidebook.
Southwestern Colorado can be a heady place to play. Some of the finest powder skiing in the world melts to reveal winding singletrack and hiking trails in summer. Vineyards are sprouting up on the western slope.
- carve turns on the world-class slopes of Telluride Ski Resort
- climb aboard a vintage steam locomotive for jaw-dropping scenery on the Durango & Sil-verton Narrow Gauge Railroad
- retrace the steps of Ancestral Puebloans at Cliff Palace in Mesa Verde National Park
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Mesa Verde National Park, Mancos, Cortez & the Four Corners, Dolores, Rico, Telluride, Ridgway, Ouray & the Million Dollar Hwy, Silverton, Durango, Pagosa Springs, South Fork, Creede, Lake City, Crested Butte, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Curecanti National Recreation Area, Gunnison, Montrose, Delta, Paonia, Colora-do National Monument, Grand Junction, Fruita, Palisade.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation