Coastal Queensland & the Great Barrier Reef - Whitsunday Coast (PDF Chapter)
This is the Whitsunday Coast chapter from Lonely Planet’s East Coast Australia guidebook.
Many travellers to Australia head straight for the Whitsunday Islands and barely leave. Opal-jade waters and pure-white beaches fringe the forested isles; around them, tropical fish swarm through the world’s largest coral garden in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
- camp under the stars and make like an island castaway in Whitsunday Islands National Park
- sail through magnificent aquamarine waters of the Whitsunday Islands
- wait patiently for a glimpse of a shy platypus and walk in the misty rainforest of Eungella National Park
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Mackay, Mackay’s Northern Beaches, Sarina, Sarina Beach, Eungella, Eungella National Park, Cumberland Islands, Cape Hillsborough National Park, The Whitsundays, Proserpine, Airlie Beach, Conway National Park, Long Island, Hook Is-land, South Molle Island, Daydream Island, Hamilton Island, Hayman Island, Lindeman Island, Whitsunday Islands, Bowen.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation