Coastal Queensland & the Great Barrier Reef - Fraser Island & the Fraser Coast (PDF Chapter)
This is the Fraser Island & the Fraser Coast chapter from Lonely Planet’s East Coast Australia guidebook.
This little pocket of quintessential Queensland takes in World Heritage–listed Fraser Island and some mellow coastal communities, such as Hervey Bay and Rainbow Beach, the agricultural centre of Bundaberg, and numerous old-fashioned country towns never too far from the ocean.
- cruise up the beach ‘highway’, swim in Lake McKenzie and camp under the stars on Fra-ser Island
- watch the whales play in Hervey Bay
- witness turtles take their first flipper-stumble down the beach at Mon Repos
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Hervey Bay, Rainbow Beach, Maryborough, Gympie, Childers, Burrum Coast National Park, Bundaberg, Bargara, Fraser Island.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.