Coastal Queensland & the Great Barrier Reef - Capricorn Coast & the Southern Reef Islands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Capricorn Coast & the Southern Reef Islands chapter from Lonely Planet’s East Coast Australia guidebook.
The stretch of coastline that straddles the tropic of Capricorn is one of the quietest and most lovely lengths of the east coast. Even in high season you needn’t travel far to find a deserted beach.
- claim a tropical beach for the day on Great Keppel Island
- surf and chill at Agnes Water, Queensland’s most northerly surf beach
- hike to find aboriginal rock art in Carnarvon Gorge
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Agnes Water, Town of 1770, Eurimbula & Deepwater National Parks, Gladstone, Southern Reef Islands, Rockhampton & Around, Yeppoon, Great Keppel Island, Capricorn Hinterland.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation