Coastal California - Marin County & the Bay Area (PDF Chapter)
This is the Marin County & the Bay Area chapter from Lonely Planet’s Coastal Califor-nia guidebook.
The San Francisco Bay Area encompasses a bonanza of natural vistas and wildlife. Visit an-cient redwoods and herds of elegant tule elk in Marin, gray whales swim off the cape of Point Reyes and hawks fly in the Marin Headlands.
- gaze up at a majestic redwood canopy at Muir Woods National Monument
- spot gray whales from the lighthouse at Point Reyes National Seashore
- ferry over from San Francisco to bohemian Sausalito houseboats bobbing in the bay
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Marin County, Marin Headlands, Sausalito, Tiburon, Sir Francis Drake Boulevard & Around, San Rafael, Mill Valley, Mt Tamalpais State Park, Muir Woods National Monument, Muir Beach, Stinson Beach, Bolinas, Olema & Nicasio, Point Reyes Station, Inverness, Point Reyes National Seashore, East Bay, Oakland, Berkeley, Mt Diablo State Park, John Muir National Historic Site, The Peninsula, San Jose & Around, Pacifica & Around, Devil’s Slide, Half Moon Bay & Around, Pescadero, An?o Nuevo State Park.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation