Civil War Trail Road Trips - Lowcountry & Southern Coast Trip (PDF Chapter)
This is the Lowcountry & Southern Coast chapter from Lonely Planet’s Civil War Trail Road Trips guidebook.
The Lowcountry welcomes travelers with a warm embrace. This coastal region, which stretches from Charleston south to Georgia, is a tangle of islands, inlets and tidal marshes. This drive sweeps in plantation life, military history, Gullah culture and a landmark African American school.
- watch the sun set over the marsh at Hunting Island State Park
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- learn about Navajo Code Talkers
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- meditate surrounded by the vast gardens of Middleton Place
- discover even more with walking tours and background information
Coverage includes: Charleston, Drayton Hall, Middleton Place, Walterboro, Beaufort, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Penn Center, Hinting Island State Park, Edisto Island Scenic Byway, Charleston Walking Tour, South Carolina, Ashley River Plantations and Hilton Head.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.