China - Xinjiang (Chapter)
This is the Xinjiang chapter from Lonely Planet’s China guidebook.
Xinjiang is the homeland of the Muslim Uighurs and a fast-changing region where ancient and modern meet in surprising ways. Xinjiang is increasingly attracting visitors for its extraordinary natural beauty and fascinating Central Asian history and culture.
- travel one of the world’s most extraordinary road journeys, the Karakoram Highway
- explore ancient ruins, mountain landscapes and Buddhist caves that surround the laid-back oasis town of Turpan
- witness Central Asia at its most authentic at the Sunday livestock market
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Ürümqi, Turpan, Hami, Kuqa, Kashgar, Karakoram Highway, Yengisar, Hotan, Yarkand, Karghilik, Yining.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.