China - Shanxi (Chapter)
This is the Shanxi chapter from Lonely Planet’s China guidebook.
Waist-deep in handsome history, Shanxi is home to an impressive roll-call of must-see, ancient sights: time-worn temples, traditional Qing dynasty courtyard architecture and day trips to the mountain cliffs and gorges of Mian Shan.
- wander the cobblestone ancient streets of the time-warped, walled town of Pingyao
- discover the grandeur of the magnificent Buddhist statues of the Yungang Caves
- check out the lavish restoration of the city wall and the old town of Datong
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Datong, Yungang Caves, Wutai Shan, Taiyuan & Around, Pingyao & Around, Qikou, Jincheng & Around.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.