China - Inner Mongolia (Chapter)
This is the Inner Mongolia chapter from Lonely Planet’s China guidebook.
Travellers heading north of the Great Wall might half expect to see Mongol hordes galloping through the vast grasslands. The reality is rather different: 21st-century Inner Mongolia is a wholly different place from Mongolia itself.
- saddle up for a horse ride around the Hulunbei’er Grasslands
- explore the colourful esoteric mysteries of Tibetan Buddhism at Da Zhao, and be astonished by the tantric statues on display at beautiful Wuta Pagoda in Hohhot
- wander amid the ancient walls of Shangdu and contemplate the vanished wonders of Kublai Khan’s pleasure dome
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Hohhot & Around, Shangdu, Baotou, Genghis Khan Mausoleum, Haila’er, Enhe, Manzhouli, Shi Wei.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.