China - Henan (Chapter)
This is the Henan chapter from Lonely Planet’s China guidebook.
Henan is home to China’s oldest surviving Buddhist temple and an astonishing collection of Buddhist carvings, the Longmen Grottoes. There is also the Shaolin Temple, that legendary institution where the martial way and Buddhism found an unlikely but powerful alliance.
- fathom the mysteries of Shaolin boxing at the Shaolin Temple and hike the surrounding peaks
- admire the artistry of 1500-year-old carved Bodhisattvas as Longmen Grottoes
- discover the unreal scenery of the mountains of the Ten Thousand Immortals from the perch of the cliff-top village of Guoliangcun
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Zhengzhou, Nanjiecun, Song Shan & Dengfeng, Luoyang & Around, Guoliangcun, Kaifeng, Zhuxian Zhen.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation