China - Gansu (Chapter)
This is the Gansu chapter from Lonely Planet’s China guidebook.
Synonymous with the Silk Road, the slender province of Gansu flows east to west along the Hexi Corridor, the gap through which goods and ideas once streamed between China and Central Asia.
- view the Mogao Grottoes, one of the most important Buddhist sites on the Silk Road
- gaze up at the giant Buddha carved into a desert cliff at the remote temple of Bingling Si
- photograph the rainbow of desert colours on the Martian-like hills of Zhangye Danxia National Geopark
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Lanzhou, Xiahe, Hezuo, Langmusi, Hexi Corridor, Wuwei, Zhangye, Jiayuguan, Dunhuang, Eastern Gansu, Tianshui, Pingliang.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.