China - Beijing (Chapter)
This is the Beijing chapter from Lonely Planet’s China guidebook.
Inextricably linked to past glories (and calamities) yet hurtling towards a power-charged future, Beijing, one of history’s great cities, is as complex as it is compelling. Few places on earth can match the extraordinary historical panorama on display here.
- marvel at the might and splendour of the world’s largest palace complex, the Forbidden City
- lose yourself in the city’s warren of historic hutong (alleyways) or follow our walking tour
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: History, Sights, Activities, Courses, Sleeping, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment and Shopping. *This chapter does not cover The Great Wall.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation