Chicago - Wicker Park, Bucktown & Ukrainian Village (PDF Chapter)
This is the Wicker Park, Bucktown & Ukrainian Village chapter from Lonely Planet’s Chicago guidebook.
These three neighborhoods in the larger area of West Town are trendy hot property. Wicker Park is the more commercial heart; it’s flanked by Bucktown (a bit posher), Ukrainian Village and East Village (a bit shabbier), and smaller Noble Square.
Save for a number of art galleries, this area holds few conventional sights, but you could eas-ily while away the day shopping and the night eating and drinking. And it’s definitely Chicago’s best hood for rock clubs, with the Hideout and Empty Bottle leading the cool-cat pack.
- trawl for treasures – an old Devo record, a vintage pillbox hat, steel-toed boots, a musta-chioed disguise kit – in the shops along Milwaukee Avenue
- hear an alt-country band, snap your fingers to a poetry slam or sing along with a Meatloaf tribute band at Hideout, one of Chicago’s coolest venues
- squeeze into teeny Matchbox for a gimlet, sidecar or other retro cocktail
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.