Chicago - Pilsen & Near South Side (PDF Chapter)
This is the Pilsen & Near South Side chapter from Lonely Planet’s Chicago guidebook.
The Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planetarium cluster at lakefront Museum Campus. Peaceful 12th Street Beach and hilly Northerly Island offer refuges to ditch the crowds. West is Pilsen, where Mexican culture mixes with Chicago’s bohemian underground.
- size up Sue the T-rex, the towering totem poles and magnificent mummies at the Field Museum of Natural History, one of the world’s foremost scientific research institutions
- admire psychedelic paintings, polished altars and colorful folk art at the National Museum of Mexican Art, the nation’s largest Latinx arts center
- nibble chestnut cakes and almond cookies in Chinatown’s bakeries, and shop for trinkets and unusual food items in its shops
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.