Chicago - Day Trips from Chicago (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from Chicago chapter from Lonely Planet’s Chicago guide-book.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Chicago and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include Oak Park and Indiana Dunes.
- Tour Frank Lloyd Wright’s studio and see a slew of homes he designed for his neighbors in Oak Park. Ernest Hemingway’s birthplace is here, too
- Sunny beaches, woodsy trails, ranger-guided walks and towering sand dunes feature at Indiana Dunes.
- Wisconsin’s biggest city, Milwaukee, has a stellar lineup of beer, motorcycles, world-class art and a ballpark of racing sausages
- The artsy towns of Saugatuck & Douglas boom in summer thanks to their golden beaches, piney breezes, fruit pies and welcome-one, welcome-all mind-set
- Quaint Galena is, with perfectly preserved, Civil War–era streets set amid rolling, cow-dotted hills by the Mississippi River
Coverage includes: Oak Park, Indiana Dunes, Milwaukee, Saugatuck & Douglas, Galena.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout