*Cannot be combined with other offers. No code necessary - automatically added at checkout. See terms.
Central Asia - Turkmenistan (PDF Chapter)
This is the Turkmenistan chapter from Lonely Planet’s Central Asia guidebook.
The most mysterious and unexplored of Central Asia’s ’stans is an ancient land of spirituality, tradition and natural beauty. The cities of Merv and Konye-Urgench inspire visions of caravans plodding along the Silk Road, while the haunting beauty of the Karakum desert and other quirky natural phenomena are equally mesmerising.
- explore the extraordinary, ever-changing Turkmen capital Ashgabat, laden with marble palaces, bizarre monuments and more fountains than Las Vegas
- marvel at the minarets and turquoise-tiled mausoleums littering the desert in Konye-Urgench, testament to the former glories of the Khorezmshah empire
- visit this bizarre combination of human accident and natural phenomenon at the Darvaza Gas Craters in the lunar landscapes of the Karakum desert
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: When to Go, Ashgabat, Karakum Desert, Köw Ata Underground Lake, Gozli Ata & Yangykala Canyon, Mary, Merv, Gonur, Turkmenabat, Konye-Urgench, Dashogus, Understand Turkmenistan, Turkmenistan Today, History, People, Religion, Arts, Environment, Food & Drink & Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Mix and match on hundreds of guidebooks, ebooks and thousands of digital chapters.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.