Central Asia - Tajikistan (PDF Chapter)
This is the Tajikistan chapter from Lonely Planet’s Central Asia guidebook.
The term ‘predominantly mountainous’ doesn’t do justice to a country where over 90% of the land is upland. This fact of nature has given Tajikistan a precious advantage over its neighbours, namely some of the most inspiring, high-altitude landscape in the world.
- travel along one of the world’s most famous roads, the Pamir Highway, offering high-altitude vistas and fine community-based homestays
- observe rural life along the narrow Pyanj River corridor in the Wakhan Valley, bordering Afghanistan, with Silk Road forts and spectacular views of the snowbound Hindu Kush
- bounce over angry waters on a suspension bridge as a prelude to hiking to the carless Pamir valley of Jizeu
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Dushanbe, Fergana Valley, Isfara, Khojand, Istaravshan, Zerafshan Valley, Penjikent, Fan Mountains, Sarvoda, Margeb, Upper Zerafshan Valley, The Pamirs, Western Pamir Highway, Khorog, Tajik Wakhan Valley, Eastern Pamir High-way, Understand Tajikistan, Tajikistan Today, History, People, Arts, Environment, Food & Drink, Survival Guide, When to Go, Visas & Permits, Itineraries, Fast Facts, Exchange Rates, Re-sources.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.