Central Asia - Kazakhstan (PDF Chapter)
This is the Kazakhstan chapter from Lonely Planet’s Central Asia guidebook.
The world’s ninth-biggest country is the most economically advanced of the ’stans’, thanks to abundant reserves of oil and other valuable minerals. The capital, Astana, on the windswept northern steppe, has been transformed into a 21st-century showpiece with a profusion of bold futuristic architecture.
- dine out in leafy, sophisticated Almaty and hike in the spectacular mountains on its door-step
- stay in hospitable homestays and trek amid gorgeous alpine scenery in the Kolsai Lakes
- be awed by Turkestan’s beautiful Timurid architecture at Kazakhstan’s holiest site
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Almaty & Around, Medeo & Chimbulak, Ozero Bol-shoe Almatinskoe Area, Southeast Kazakhstan, Charyn Canyon, Kolsai Lakes, Altyn-Emel Na-tional Park, Karkara Valley, Central Tian Shan, Southern Kazakhstan, Taraz, Shymkent & Around, Turkestan, Otrar, Kyzylorda, Aral, Western Kazakhstan, Aktau & Around, Uralsk, North-ern Kazakhstan, Astana & Around, Lake Burabay, Karaganda, Eastern Kazakhstan, Ust-Kamenogorsk, Altay Mountains, Semey & Around, Understand Kazakhstan, Kazakhstan To-day, History, People, Arts, Environment, Survival Guide, When to Go, Visas & Permits, Itineraries, Fast Facts, Exchange Rates, Resources.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience