Central America - Costa Rica (PDF Chapter)
This is the Costa Rica chapter from Lonely Planet’s Central America guide-book.
The bellowing of howler monkeys echoes across the treetops. Magnificent frigate birds circle high overhead, while less-than-sonorous squawking reveals a pair of scarlet macaws. Morning is breaking in Costa Rica’s coastal rainforest.
- slide silently through Tortuguero’s jungle canals in search of wildlife or volunteer to protect endangered sea turtles
- surf, sample the culinary scene, laze on the beach and party in Puerto Viejo de Talaman-ca
- hike the slopes of Volcán Arenal, then soothing your weary muscles with a soak in volca-no-heated pools around La Fortuna
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: San José, Central Valley & Highlands, Alajuela, Parque Nacional Volcán Poás, Parque Nacional Braulio Carrillo, Cartago, Valle de Orosi, Turrialba, Carib-bean Coast, Tortuguero Village, Puerto Limón, Cahuita, Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Sixaola, Are-nal & Northern Lowlands, La Fortuna & Volcán Arenal, Tilarán, Los Chiles, Sarapiquí Valley, Northwestern Costa Rica, Monteverde & Santa Elena, Liberia, Parque Nacional Rincón de la Vieja, La Cruz, Península de Nicoya, Playas del Coco, Playa Tamarindo, Playa Sámara, Mal País & Santa Teresa, Montezuma, Central Pacific Coast, Puntarenas, Parque Nacional Carara, Jacó, Quepos, Manuel Antonio, Dominical, Uvita, Southern Costa Rica & Península de Osa, San Isidro de El General, San Gerardo de Rivas, Palmar, Sierpe, Bahía Drake, Puerto Jiménez, Parque Nacional Corcovado, Golfito, Pavones, Paso Canoas, Understand Costa Rica, Costa Rica Today, History, Culture, Landscape, Wildlife, Survival Guide.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.