Capetown & The Garden Route - East City, District Six, Woodstock, & Observatory (PDF Chapter)
This is the East City, District Six, Woodstock & Observatory chapter from Lonely Planet’s Cape Town & the Garden Route guidebook.
East of the City Bowl are the empty lots of District Six, the working-class, industrial suburbs that are regenerating, with creative industries, cafes and bars clustered at the East City end. Woodstock is the canvas for striking street art, and a hub for the blooming craft-beer scene, and bohemian Observatory makes a great base for budget travellers.
- enjoy top-class theatre and digital movie events at the Fugard
- browse the Old Biscuit Mill for retail therapy and gourmet eats
- learn about Cape Town’s troubled past at the District Six Museum, which is as much for the people of the destroyed inner city as it is about them
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Explore East City, District Six, Woodstock & Observatory, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping and Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.