Cape Town & the Garden Route - Cape Town (PDF Chapter)
This is the Cape Town chapter from Lonely Planet’s Cape Town & the Garden Route guidebook.
Known as the ‘Mother City’ for its historical role in modern South Africa, Cape Town is domi-nated by Table Mountain. This magnificent rock is often draped with cascading clouds, while at its base are sun-kissed beaches.
- ride the cableway to the top of magnificent Table Mountain and look down on the city
- sail out to infamous Robben Island and ponder the country’s past and present
- saunter through historic Company’s Garden in the city centre and admire the surrounding architecture
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Activities, Tours, Festivals & Events, Sleeping, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.