Cape Town & the Garden Route - Around Cape Town (PDF Chapter)
This is the Around Cape Town chapter from Lonely Planet’s Cape Town & the Garden Route guidebook.
There’s an abundance of day and overnight trips you can make from Cape Town. Northeast the magnificent mountain ranges around Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl provide ideal mi-croclimates for growing vines: this is South Africa’s premier wine region.
- explore elegant Stellenbosch, and its colonial architecture, good museums and scores of wineries
- decide which of the many excellent restaurants to eat at in the gourmet paradise of Franschhoek
- admire old Cape Dutch architecture and vineyards in Paarl, the Winelands’ largest town
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Winelands, Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, Paarl, Tulbagh, Robertson, The Overberg, The Elgin Valley, Hermanus, Gansbaai, Stanford, West Coast, Darling, Langebaan, Paternoster.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation