Cancun, Cozumel & the Yucatan - Yucatan State & the Maya Heartland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Yucatán State & the Maya Heartland chapter from Lonely Planet’s Cancun, Cozumal & the Yucatan guidebook.
Yucatán state sees less tourism than its flashy neighbor, Quintana Roo. It’s sophisticated and savvy, and the perfect spot for travelers interested in cultural exploration. Most come to this area to explore the ancient Maya sites, like the Ruta Puuc.
- marvel at colonial architecture or enjoy a free concert in the cultural capital of Mérida
- find out why they named Chichén Itzá one of the ‘new seven wonders of the world,’ and why Ek’ Balam should have made the short list
- scan the salty horizon for flamingos at the Reserva de la Biosfera Ría Celestún or Reserva de la Biosfera Ría Lagartos
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Mérida & around, South of Mérida, Oxkintok, Grutas de Calcehtok, Uxmal, Santa Elena, Kabah, Ruta Puuc, Grutas de Loltún, Ruinas de Mayapán, Cenotes de Cuzamá, Ticul, Tihosuco, Celestún, Ruined Haciendas Route, Dzibilchaltún, Progreso & around, Eastern Yucatán State, Izamal, Chichén Itzá, Valladolid, Ek’ Balam, Tizimín, Río Lagartos & around, San Felipe.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.