Cancun, Cozumel & the Yucatan - Yucatan State & The Maya Heartland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Yucatán State & the Maya Heartland chapter from Lonely Planet’s Cancun, Cozumel & the Yucatan guidebook.
Yucatán is sophisticated and savvy, and the perfect spot for travelers more interested in cultur-al exploration than beach life. While there are a few nice beaches in Celestún and Progreso, most people come to this area to explore the region’s ancient Maya sites.
- marvel at colonial architecture, feast at one of the excellent restaurants, or enjoy a free con-cert in the cultural capital, Mérida
- spend a full day wandering through the extraordinary Maya complex of Chichén Itzá, and find out why they named this ruin one of the ‘new seven wonders of the world’
- scan the horizon for flamingos, other birds and wildlife in the salt pans and lagoons of Reserva de la Biosfera Ría Lagartos
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Mérida & AroundMérida, Oxkintok, Grutas de Cal-cehtok, Uxmal, Santa Elena, Kabah, Ruta Puuc, Ruinas de Mayapán, Cenotes de Cuzamá, Ticul, Oxkutzcab, Tekax, Celestún, Dzibilchaltún, Progreso & Around, Eastern Yucatán State, Izamal, Chichén Itzá, Valladolid, Ek’ Balam, Tizimín, Río Lagartos, El Cuyo, San Felipe.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation