Cancun, Cozumel & the Yucatan - Costa Maya & Southern Carribean Coast (PDF Chapter)
This is the Costa Maya & Southern Caribbean Coast chapter from Lonely Planet’s Cancun, Cozumel & the Yucatan guidebook.
The Southern Caribbean Coast, or the Costa Maya, is the latest region to be hit by the devel-opment boom. But if you’re looking for a quiet escape on the Mexican Caribbean, it’s still the best place to be.
- dive at the largest coral atoll in the northern hemisphere and visit a fascinating ship grave-yard at Banco Chinchorro
- feast your eyes on Laguna Bacalar, one of the most beautiful lagoons you’ll ever see, and kayaking across its clear waters
- fish, snorkel, dive, bird-watch or simply chill at a boardwalk bar or restaurant in laid-back Mahahual
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Felipe Carrillo Puerto, Mahahual, Xcalak, Laguna Bacalar, Chetumal, Corredor Arqueológico, Corozal Town.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.