Cancun, Cozumel & the Yucatan - Costa Maya & Southern Caribbean Coast (PDF Chapter)
This is the Costa Maya & Southern Caribbean Coast chapter from Lonely Planet’s Cancun, Cozumal & the Yucatan guidebook.
For a quiet escape, the Southern Caribbean Coast is still the best place to be. You’ll find many surprises, such as mesmerizing Laguna Bacalar, aka the ‘lake of seven colors.’ Tranquil fishing towns offer great beach-bumming, bird-watching and diving opportunities.
- dive at Banco Chinchorro, the largest coral atoll in the western hemisphere and a fascinating ship graveyard
- take a refreshing dip in the 90m-deep Cenote Azul, then bask on Laguna Bacalar, one of the most beautiful lakes that you’ll ever set your eyes on
- go snorkeling, fishing or bird-watching in Mahahual, or simply chill at a boardwalk bar or restaurant in this laid-back coastal town
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Felipe Carrillo Puerto, Mahahual, Xcalak, Laguna Bacalar, Chetumal, Corredor Arqueológico, Corozal.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.