Cancun, Cozumel & the Yucatan - Campeche State (PDF Chapter)
This is the Campeche State chapter from Lonely Planet’s Cancun, Cozumel & the Yuca-tan guidebook.
Tucked into the southwestern corner of the Yucatán Peninsula, Campeche state is home to low-key villages, vast stretches of tangled jungle, bird-dotted mangroves and lagoons, and some of the region’s most imposing Maya ruins – many of which you might have all to yourself.
- stroll through the wedding-cake-hued streets of pretty Campeche, and along its stone ram-parts to relive its exciting pirate history
- haul yourself up massive pyramids and wander through the incredible complex of Calakmul, while the calls of howler monkeys reverberate in the surrounding jungle
- explore the large and impressive complexes of Edzná, one of the most significant and acces-sible Maya ruins, and marvel at this extraordinary culture of both past and present
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Campeche & Around, Pomuch, Hecelchakán, Bécal, Hopelchén, Chenes Sites, Edzná, Southwestern Coast, Champotón, Sabancuy, Isla Aguada, Ciu-dad del Carmen, Southeastern Campeche, Balamkú, Calakmul, Chicanná & Becán, Xpujil, Zoh-Laguna, Río Bec, Hormiguero.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.