Canada - Understand Canada and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
This chapter contains the Canada Today, History, Aboriginal Cultures, Outdoor Activities, Wildlife, Cuisines of Canada, Wine Regions, Directory A–Z, Transportation, and Language chapters from Lonely Planet’s Canada guidebook.
All the info you need on everything from history: Viking settlements and the Klondike gold rush, to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for women travellers, gay and lesbian travellers and travellers with disabilities. And get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on the new Liberal prime minister redefining Canada while tension between a natural-resource economy and environmentalism grows
- info on Canada’s first peoples through their history,arts, media and tourism ventures
- full coverage of skiing, snowboarding, hiking, kayaking, cycling, fishing, surfing – we’ve got the nation’s top activities and hot spots covered
- details on Canada’s provincial specialties to watch for, as well as the nation’s best cities for dining
Coverage includes: Canada Today: Economy, Oil Between Neighbors, Table Talk and Politics, History: The First Inhabitatnts, The Vikings & European Explorers, Fur Trade Ignites, French vs English, Growing Pains, The Nation Splits: Upper & Lower Canada, Cautious Reunion, Confederation, How the West was Won, Cutting Ties to England and Modern-Day Canada, Aboriginal Cultures: The People, Recent History and Aboriginal Tourism, Outdoor Activities: Skiing & Snowboarding, Hiking, Kayaking & Canoeing, Mountain Biking & Cycling, Climbing, Surfing & Windsurfing, Wildlife: Grizzly Bears & Black Bears, Polar Bears, Moose, Elk, Deer & Caribou, Whales and Birds, Cuisines of Canada: Local Flavours and Top City Dining, Wine Regions: Regional Wine List and Festivals, Directory A–Z, Transportation, and Language.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.