California - Palm Springs & the Deserts (PDF Chapter)
The riches of the desert soil have lured prospectors and miners; its beauty and spirituality have tugged at the hearts of artists, visionaries and wanderers. Hipsters and celebs come for the climate and retro flair, especially in unofficial capital, Palm Springs.
- feel fabulous in the revitalized mid-Century Modern Rat Pack hangout of Palm Springs
- traverse ethereal landscapes to Death Valley National Park, the lowest point in the western hemisphere
- marvel at whimsically eroded rock formations on a hike in Wonderland of Rocks
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Palm Springs & the Coachella Valley, Joshua Tree National Park, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park & Around, Route 66, Mojave National Preserve & Around, Death Valley National Park & Around, Upper Mojave Desert, Las Vegas.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.