California - Northern Mountains (PDF Chapter)
In this seemingly forgotten corner, vast expanses of wilderness are divided by rivers and streams, dotted with cobalt lakes, horse ranches and alpine peaks; shrubby, high desert is cut with amber gorges, with dramatic light that is a photographer’s dream.
- gape at geothermal spectacles in Lassen Volcanic National Park
- explore deep caves and examine ancient petroglyphs at Lava Beds National Monu-ment
- hike and ski Mt Shasta, NorCal’s most majestic mountain
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Redding & Around, Shasta Lake, Mt Lassen Region, Lassen Volcanic National Park, Lassen National Forest, Lake Almanor Area, Susanville, Eagle Lake, Quincy, Bucks Lake, Mt Shasta Region, Mt Shasta, Mt Shasta City, Dunsmuir, Castle Crags State Park, McCloud, McArthur-Burney Falls Memorial State Park & Around, Lava Beds National Monument, Klamath Basin National Wildlife Refuges, Modoc National Forest, West of I-5, Weav-erville, Lewiston Lake, Trinity Lake, Klamath & Siskiyou Mountains, Scott Valley, Yreka.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation