Budapest & Hungary - Lake Balaton & Southern Transdanubia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Lake Balaton & Southern Transdanubia chapter from Lonely Planet’s Budapest & Hungary guidebook.
Lake Balaton is not only a happy, sunny expanse of opaque tourmaline-coloured water in which to play – step beyond its beaches and you’ll encounter vine-filled forested hills, a national park and a wild peninsula, nearly cutting the lake in half.
- wander the wild peninsula of Tihany, poking around in the Abbey Church and sipping a home-brewed beer in Hungary’s most picture-perfect lakeside village
- sail, paddleboard, swim and cycle in the Lake Balaton capital of Balatonfüred, then hit lakeside restaurants and bars by night
- check out the excellent museums, craft beer bars and coffee shops of Pécs, marvelling at the greenish- and goldish-hued ceramics at the famous porcelain factory.
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Lake Balaton Region, Balatonfüred, Tihany, Keszt-hely, Southern Transdanubia, Pécs, Mohács.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation