Brazil - Rio De Janeiro State (PDF Chapter)
This is the Rio de Janeiro State chapter from Lonely Planet’s Brazil guide-book.
If you thought Rio was just a city, think again! Right next door, the equally enticing state of Rio de Janeiro is home to some of Brazil’s greatest treasures, all within an easy one- to four-hour journey from the Cidade Maravilhosa.
- surf the south shore’s wild waves, or chill at the floating bar in a tranquil cove nearby, on the Ilha Grande
- glide across the polished wood floors of Brazil’s 19th-century imperial palace in Petrópolis, or discover the wild splendour of neighboring Parque Nacional Serra dos Órgãos
- snorkel, swim, hike to remote coastal villages, or learn to cook gourmet Brazilian food in the beautifully preserved historic coastal town of Paraty
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Ilha Grande & Vila do Abraão, Paraty Parque Nacional do Itatiaia, Petrópolis, Teresópolis, Nova Friburgo, Saquarema, Arraial do Cabo, Búzios
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation