Botswana & Namibia
Ever wanted to experience the raw, wild heart of Africa? Teeming with wildlife and lush with extraordinary landscapes, Botswana and Namibia unfurl so many African dreams. Lonely Planet will get you to the heart of Botswana & Namibia, with amazing travel experiences and the best planning advice.
Lonely Planet Botswana & Namibia is your passport to the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and skip, and what hidden discoveries await you. Spot jackals and black rhinos in Etosha National Park, explore the German colonial town of Luederitz; or marvel at mighty Victoria Falls; all with your trusted travel companion. Get to the heart of Botswana & Namibia and begin your journey now!
Blessed with some of the greatest wildlife spectacles on earth, Botswana is one of the great safari destinations in Africa. There are more elephants in Botswana than anywhere on earth, the big cats roam free, and there’s abundant birdlife at every turn.
- enjoy the ultimate safari at Moremi Game Reserve, with some of the best wildlife-watching on earth
- glide gently through the vast unspoiled wilderness of Okavango Delta in a wooden mokoro (dugout canoe)
- get up close and personal with Africa’s largest elephant herds at Chobe National Park
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Gaborone & Around, Matsieng Rock Carvings, Mo-chudi, Gabane, Manyana, Thamaga, Mokolodi Nature Reserve, Otse, Kanye, Eastern Botswana, Palapye, Serowe, Khama Rhino Sanctuary, Tswapong Hills, Francistown, Tuli Block, Makgadikgadi & Nxai Pans, Nata, Gweta, Sowa Pan, Ntwetwe Pan, Makgadikgadi Pans National Park, Nxai Pans National Park, Chobe National Park, Kasane, Chobe Riverfront, Nogatsaa/Tchinga Area, Savuti, Linyanti Marshes, Okavango Delta, Maun, Shorobe, Eastern Delta, Inner Delta, Moremi Game Reserve, Okavango Panhandle, Northwestern Botswana, Tsodilo Hills, Lake Ngami, Aha Hills, Gcwihaba (Drotsky’s Cave), Kalahari, Ghanzi, D’kar, Central Kalahari Game Reserve, Khutse Game Reserve, Kang, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, Understand Botswana, Botswana Today, History, People of Botswana, Religion, Arts & Crafts, Architecture, Dance, Literature, Music, Botswana Cuisine, Environment, National Parks & Reserves.
Namibia has some of the most stunning landscapes in Africa, and a trip through the country is one of the great road adventures. Natural wonders such as Fish River Canyon and the wildlife utopia of Etosha National Park enthral.
- crouch by a waterhole in Etosha National Park, one of the world’s premier wildlife ven-ues
- watch the sun rise from the top of fiery-coloured dunes of Sossusvlei
- hike through Fish River Canyon, one of Africa’s greatest natural wonders
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Windhoek, North-Central Namibia, Eastern Namibia, Etosha National Park, Northern Namibia, The North, Kavango Region, The Caprivi Strip, Otjozondjupa, Northwestern Namibia, Damaraland, The Kaokoveld, The Skeleton Coast, Central Namibia, Swakopmund, Walvis Bay, Namib-Naukluft Park, Southern Namibia, The Central Plat-eau, The South Coast, The Far South, Fish River Canyon, Understand Namibia, Namibia Today, History, The Namibian People, The Namibian Way of Life, Arts, Namibian Cuisine, Environment, Survival Guide.
This chapter contains the Welcome to Botswana & Namibia, Botswana & Namibia’s Top 16, Need to Know, If You Like…, Month by Month, Itineraries, Planning a Safari, and Regions at a Glance chapters from Lonely Planet’s Botswana & Namibia guidebook.
Your journey to Botswana & Namibia starts here. You’ll find the tools to plan your adventure: where to go and when, how much to budget, plus in-depth info on planning your safari.
- tailor-made itineraries, arranged by region, themes and events
- list of highlights and best experiences
- everything you need to know about what wildlife to see, where
- user-friendly country overview ensures you won’t miss a thing
Coverage includes: Welcome to Botswana & Namibia, Botswana & Na-mibia’s Top 16, Need to Know, If You Like: Big Cats, Elephants, Rhinos, Birdwatching, Rock Art, Landscapes, Adventure Sports, Fly-In Safaris, Off-Road Driving, Month by Month, Itineraries, Planning a Safari, and Regions at a Glance.
This chapter contains the Health and Language chapters from Lonely Planet’s Botswana & Namibia guidebook.
All the info you need on everything from insurance and vaccinations to malaria, yellow fever and dengue fever... you name it, as well as handy language guide and glossary.
Coverage includes: Health and Language.
As a magnet for tourists of all descriptions, Victoria Falls is one of Earth’s great spectacles. The sheer power and force of the falls is something that simply does not disappoint.
- take in the full force of the falls with unobstructed views in Victoria Falls National Park
- experience the world’s most extreme infinity pool, The Devil’s Pool
- tame Grade-5 rapids whitewater rafting along the Zambezi
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Activities, Zambia, Livingstone, Zimbabwe, Victoria Falls.
Inside Lonely Planet Botswana & Namibia Travel Guide:
- Colour maps and images throughout
- Highlights and itineraries help you tailor your trip to your personal needs and interests
- Insider tips to save time and money and get around like a local, avoiding crowds and trouble spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - hours of operation, phone numbers, websites, transit tips, prices
- Honest reviews for all budgets - eating, sleeping, sight-seeing, going out, shopping, hidden gems that most guidebooks miss
- Cultural insights give you a richer, more rewarding travel experience - history, politics, etiquette, religion, architecture, wildlife, literature, arts & crafts, dance, safaris, music, cuisine, environment
- Over 60 maps
Coverage Includes: Gaborone, Chobe National Park, Etosha National Park, Kalahari, Okavango Delta, Windhoek, Victoria Falls, Fish River Canyon and more
Publication Date: September 2017
Writers: Anthony Ham, Trent Holden
408 pages, 96pp color, 67 maps | Dimensions: 128mm × 197mm
Next edition due: November 2023
Add to your travels:
I travel in Namibia only, I book was very helpfull, the sections with sleeping possibility become useless over the years because of booking, TripAdvisor and so.